Translate

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving!

Last night was the celebration with the US Embassy and Peace Corps. It was a good experience seeing everyone for the first time since they moved to their sites. We all had a good time eating traditional foods, and I was finally able to cook some good foods in a really nice kitchen! We stayed the weekend with embassy employees, and used their kitchens to cook for the pot luck style thanksgiving. I brought roasted garlic mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and a cranberry peach dish.

I had a nice time finally getting to sleep in a real bed, with an actual mattress. I was more grateful for the chance to take an actual shower with real water pressure, and hot, truly hot water! I also go to call home for 20 min from an embassy phone (free call!) and talk to mom for a "thanksgiving" call. The only downer to the whole weekend was coming into Baku my bus got a flat tire... which meant I had to wait an additional 3 hours for them to change the tire. But, we made it, and the rest of the weekend was fantastic!

Things have been going good with work, the move, and integrating into my community. This weekend I was also able to find some art supplies for my community art enrichment project, that will hopefully enable me to do some crafts with the students in my club. I will also be starting a book club in December, and am hoping to help advanced level English students work on their English reading comprehension. Lots going on with work, and the season is starting to turn truly cold! Rumor has it that we may get snow in Ganja, so if that happens I will take some good pictures for you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts